Coronavirus: Open Trials Update
Open Trials for the Men’s Football and Education Post-16 Programme will be held between 10am and 12pm on Thursday, April 8, 2021, at Kirkley Park (Wallsend Boys’ Club, NE28 8SX) for players aged 16 to 18.
As the safety and welfare of all Newcastle United Foundation participants, their families and staff remain of paramount importance, Open Trials this year will look slightly different.
All changes and updates to courses ensure sessions meet current guidance issued by the Government and Football Association regarding the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
With this in mind, we ask all players attending Open Trials arrive ready to play, wearing suitable boots for a grass pitch – there will be no access to changing facilities at the venue.
Players should also arrive with their own drinks to stay hydrated during the session.
Men's Football and Education Post-16 Development Programme
This two-year programme gives talented young players between the ages of 16 and 18 the chance to combine academic studies with practical football experience and is designed to bridge the gap between grassroots and academy football.
To apply for a trial or enquire about the programme, fill out our application form, or contact Head Coach Terry Mitchell on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07583978079.
- Players will represent Newcastle United Foundation in the National Football Youth League and the EFL Community & Education Football Alliance League.
- Play against other Premier League and Football League representative teams such as Barnsley, Burnley, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and West Brom.
- Opportunity to play in showcase friendly matches against professional UK club academies and touring foreign academies.
- Four days of football training per week including a weekly fixture.
- Train with a UEFA qualified coaching team, led by UEFA A licensed Head Coach, Terry Mitchell.
- Follow coaching syllabus that mirrors the Newcastle United Academy.
- Goalkeeper-specific training three times per week, led by UEFA B licence GK.
- Head Coach: Terry Mitchell
Terry is a UEFA A licensed coach and has been a coach educator and mentor for a number of years. He has helped to develop coaches from grassroots through to the professional game.
Terry’s previous roles include: first team coach at Gateshead FC and Stockport County, Head of Youth at Hartlepool United, and is the current Lead Coach of the U15s at the Newcastle United Academy. Terry is also Head Coach of Consett AFC, who play in the Northern League or Step 5 of the English Football Pyramid. Terry led his side to the final of the FA Vase in 2019/20 season.
Terry has a passion for coaching, developing players and teams, which is reflected in his continuing desire to develop his knowledge and expertise. Terry is a meticulous planner, has excellent motivational skills and enthusiasm, and his technical and tactical knowledge is exemplary.
- Lead Coach: Mick Woods
Michael Woods is a UEFA B licensed coach. He is also qualified to Level 2 in futsal and Level 2 in coaching disabled football. A former Newcastle United talent scout with many years of coaching and managing experience, he is currently managing New Hartley Jnrs U17s, having already worked for 12 years with the the U18s.
He has helped numerous players progress into the professional and semi-professional game – the latest high-profile name being Dan Burn of Wigan and Brighton.
- GK Coach: Ian Aitken
Ian is a UEFA B licensed goalkeeping coach who brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the team. He has vast experience of coaching goalkeepers of all ages and is currently is a Lead Goalkeeping Coach at the Newcastle United Academy and Blyth Spartans.
In addition to coaching, Ian had a long playing career, making more than 600 semi-professional appearances for Gateshead FC, Gretna FC, Harrogate Town FC, Tow Law, Brandon United, Eppleton CW, and Chester-le-Street Town. Ian also holds his FA Level 2, FA Level 2 Futsal and FA Youth Award.
- Coach: Paul Robinson
Paul is a long-serving member of staff at the Foundation and also holds a UEFA B licence. Paul has more than five years’ experience within collegiate level football, and in addition, has spent time coaching within Newcastle United’s Academy.
Paul is a former professional footballer, playing for the likes of Tranmere Rovers and York City, before going on to play more than 500 games at semi-professional level for Blyth Spartans, Darlington, Morpeth and Whitley Bay. At Whitley Bay, Paul managed to win the FA Vase three times and his wealth of playing and coaching experience are a great addition to the programme.
- Physical Coach: Angelos Eleftheriadis
As well as being an FA Level 2 qualified coach, Angelos holds an MSc in Strength and Conditioning and is the Physical Lead Coach for the Foundation.
He has previously played football at a professional level in Europe, as well as representing Britain at University level. His knowledge, skill and hardworking attitude make him a great asset to the programme.
In addition to our lead coaching team, players will receive coaching and support from Newcastle United Foundation’s award-winning, vastly experienced, UEFA-qualified coaching staff, including 24 full-time UEFA B licensed staff.
- Strength and Conditioning
In addition to a comprehensive pre-season fitness programme, players will be provided with weekly gym and pitch based S&C training from a qualified member of the team. Players will be provided with bespoke individual training plans to help improve their physical development and manage injury prevention.
- Performance Analysis
Using our state of the art PlayerTek GPS technology, player will have the opportunity to be fitted with a tracking system that analyses and improves the performance of teams and individual players.
Through our link with our parent club Newcastle United we will provide first class match day physiotherapy for players and thanks to our partner college Newcastle College all players will be access a Sports Rehabilitation Clinic to help manage and recover from injuries.
- Video Analysis
All games will be recorded with players having the opportunity to analyse both the team and their individual performance. Players will also be provided with individual clips using our video analysis software, Hudl.
Gain and seek nutritional advice from our qualified staff to support performance.
- Train and play weekly at our partner club venue, Kirkley Park (Wallsend Boys’ Club).
- Additional training opportunities at official Newcastle United venues, including Lemington Football Centre, St. James’ Park, NUFC Academy and First Team Training Centre.
- Access to Newcastle College facilities including state-of-the-art gymnasium.
- Play in Newcastle United official strip.
- Train and travel in official Newcastle United kit.
- Free mini-bus travel to and from Newcastle City Centre to for all training sessions and home games.
- Free tickets to NUFC home games (subject to availability).
- Signing evening including player photo at home of Newcastle United, St.James’ Park.
- Access to NFYL All Star game and further trial opportunities with the like of V9 Academy.
- Additional playing, training and coaching opportunities with Consett AFC.
- Opportunity to attain FA Coaching Football qualification.
Newcastle College will facilitate the education element of the programme and support players through a Level 3 Extended Diploma or Diploma in Sport (dependent on GCSE grades) or a Level 2 Certificate/Diploma in Sport.
In addition, they will also receive a range of sports related qualifications, including their FA Level 1 Coaching qualification, as well as giving them the necessary experience to work within community football coaching and other areas of the sports industry.
You will need at least four GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English and maths, or a Level 2 Diploma with a Merit/Distinction grade profile and Level 2 English and maths, subject to an interview.
You will study a variety of units which could include the following:
Analysis of Sports Performance, Assessing Risk in Sport, Current Issues in Sport, Exercise, Fitness, Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise, Health and Lifestyle, Organising Sports Events, Outdoor and Adventurous Activities and Sports Nutrition, Physical Education and the Care of Children and Young People, Physiology of Fitness, Practical Team Sports, Principles of Anatomy and Physiology, Psychology of Sport, Sport as a Business, Sports Coaching, Sport and Exercise Massage, Sports Development, Training and Programming, and Work Experience in Sport and Exercise.
You will be assessed through practical observation, oral questions, written projects/assignments, presentations and discussions.
The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport equivalent to three A-Levels
Tuition is free for learners aged 16 to 18. A learner will continue to be eligible for free tuition for the duration of their qualification, this includes Year 2 of a qualification if the learner was aged 16-18 when they started in Year 1.
For more information about education within the Men’s Football and Education Post-16 Development Programme, email email@example.com
Player Progression Pathways
- Football: Professional and semi-professional playing opportunities.
- Coaching: Football and sports coaching opportunities with Newcastle United Foundation.
- Higher Education: Progress to University and opportunities to gain a football scholarship in USA.
- Sports Industry: Seek employment with numerous sports and leisure organisation in the public and private sector.
To apply for a trial or enquire about the programme, contact Head Coach Terry Mitchell by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 07583978079.