This two-year programme gives talented young players between the ages of 16 and 18 the chance to combine academic studies with practical football experience and is designed to bridge the gap between grassroots and academy football.
To apply for a trial or enquire about the programme, fill out our application form, or contact Head Coach Terry Mitchell on email@example.com or call 07583978079.
- Players will represent Newcastle United Foundation in the National Football Youth League and Cup.
- Play against other Premier League and Football League representative teams such as Burnley FC, WBA, Everton FC, Barnsley FC, Chelsea FC, Tottenham Hotspur and Crystal Palace.
- Opportunity to play in showcase friendly matches against professional UK club academies and touring foreign academies.
- 4-days of football training per week including a weekly fixture.
- Train with UEFA qualified coaching team, led by UEFA A Licenced head coach, Terry Mitchell.
- Follow coaching syllabus that mirrors Newcastle United Academy.
- GK specific training 3-time per week led by UEFA B License GK.
Head Coach- Terry Mitchell
Terry is a UEFA A licensed coach and has been a coach educator and mentor for a number of years. He has helped to develop coaches from grassroots through to the professional game.
Terry’s previous roles include; first team coach at Gateshead FC and Stockport County, Head of Youth at Hartlepool United and he is currently Lead Coach of the U14’s at NUFC Academy.
Terry has a passion for coaching, developing players and teams, which is reflected in his continuing desire to develop his knowledge and expertise. Terry is a meticulous planner, has excellent motivational skills and enthusiasm, and his technical and tactical knowledge is exemplary.
Lead Coach – Mick Woods
Michael Woods is a UEFA B licensed coach. He is also qualified to Level 2 in Futsal and Level 2 in coaching disabled football. A former NUFC talent scout with many years of coaching and managing experience, he is currently managing New Hartley Jnrs U17’s, with a previous 12 years with the the U18’s. He has helped numerous player’s progress into the professional and semi – professional game, the latest high profile name being Dan Burn of Wigan/Brighton
GK Coach – Ian Aitken
Ian is a UEFA B licensed Goalkeeping coach who brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the team. He has vast experience of coaching goalkeepers of all ages and is currently is a Lead Goalkeeping Coach at NUFC Academy and Newcastle United Women FC. In addition to coaching, Ian had a long playing career, making over 600 semi-professional appearances for Gateshead FC, Gretna FC, Harrogate Town FC, Tow Law, Brandon United, Eppleton CW and Chester Le Street Town. Ian also holds his FA Level 2, FA Level 2 Futsal and FA Youth Award
In addition to our lead coaching team, players will receive coaching and support from Newcastle United Foundation’s award winning, vastly experience, UEFA qualified coaching staff. The Foundation boast 24 full time UEFA B License staff.
- Strength and conditioning
In addition to a comprehensive pre-season fitness programme, players will be provided with weekly gym and pitch based S&C training from a qualified member of the team. Players will be provided with bespoke individual training plans to help improve their physical development and manage injury prevention.
- Performance Analysis
Using our state of the art PlayerTek GPS technology, player will have the opportunity to be fitted with a tracking system that analyses and improves the performance of teams and individual players.
Through our link with our parent club Newcastle United we will provide first class match day physiotherapy for players and thanks to our partner college Newcastle College all players will be access a Sports Rehabilitation Clinic to help manage and recover from injuries.
- Video Analysis
All games will be recorded with players having the opportunity to analyse both the team and their individual performance. Players will also be provided with individual clips with their own dedicated Youtube channel which may support any progression opportunities.
Gain and seek nutritional advice from our qualified staff to support performance.
- Train and play weekly at our partner club Consett AFC.
- Additional training opportunities at official Newcastle United venues including Lemington Football Centre, St James’ Park, NUFC Academy and First Team Training Centre.
- Access to college facilities including state of the art gymnasium.
- Play in Newcastle United official strip.
- Train and travel in official Newcastle United kit.
- Free mini-bus travel to and from Newcastle City Centre to Consett AFC for all training sessions and home games.
- Free tickets to NUFC home games (subject to availability).
- Signing evening including player photo at home of Newcastle United, St.James’ Park.
- Access to NFYL All Star game and further trial opportunities with the like of V9 Academy.
- Additional playing, training and coaching opportunities with Consett AFC.
- Opportunity to attain FA Level 1 in Coaching Football qualification.
Newcastle College will facilitate the education element of the programme and support players through a Level 3 Extended Diploma or Diploma in Sport (dependent on GCSE grades) or a Level 2 Certificate/Diploma in Sport. In addition, they will also receive a range of sports related qualifications, including their FA Level 1 Coaching qualification, as well as giving them the necessary experience to work within community football coaching and other areas of the sports industry.
You will need at least four GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English and maths or a Level 2 Diploma with a Merit/Distinction grade profile and Level 2 English and maths, subject to an interview.
You will study a variety of units which could include the following:-
Principles of Anatomy and Physiology , Physiology of Fitness, Assessing Risk in Sport , Psychology of Sport, Exercise, Health and Lifestyle, Sports Coaching, Fitness, Training and Programming, Fitness Testing for Sport & Exercise, Outdoor and Adventurous Activities and Sports Nutrition, Sport and Exercise Massage, Sport as a Business, Practical Team Sports, Organising Sports Events, Current Issues in Sport, Analysis of Sports Performance, Physical Education and the Care of Children and Young People, Sports Development and Work Experience in Sport and Exercise.
You will be assessed through a combination of:
- Written Assignments
- Group and/or Individual Work
You will be assessed through practical observation, oral questions, written projects/assignments, presentations and discussions.
The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport equivalent to 3 A Levels
Tuition is free for learners aged 16 to 18. A learner will continue to be eligible for free tuition for the duration of their qualification, this includes Year 2 of a qualification if the learner was aged 16-18 when they started in Year 1.
The course will be based from our partner venue Consett AFC, who were voted BT Sport & Mirror awards football club of the year in 2017 and 2018. Consett AFC’s men’s first team play in the Northern League First Division and they oversee over 40 junior football teams. The club will be supporting our player development by providing additional playing opportunities within their club set up.
Player Progression Pathways
- Football – Professional and semi-professional playing opportunities.
- Coaching – Football and sports coaching opportunities with Newcastle United Foundation.
- Higher Education – progress to University and opportunities to gain a football scholarship in USA.
- Sports Industry – seek employment with numerous sports and leisure organisation in the public and private sector.
To apply for a trial or enquire about the programme, contact Head Coach Terry Mitchell on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07583978079.