HEALTH: How To Improve Your Cholesterol
Newcastle United Foundation are now offering FREE NHS Health Checks to those aged 40+. Checks can be carried out in the stadium, community venues or the workplace.
The checks are designed to calculate your risk of heart attack, stroke & diabetes. You will be asked simple questions about your lifestyle and have your blood pressure and cholesterol checked.
What is Cholesterol and why is it important to get it checked?
Your body naturally makes its own Cholesterol and your diet will influence the levels that you have. You need Cholesterol to help your cells and hormones work correctly, it also contributes towards the production of vitamin D and bile for digestion.
There are two types of Cholesterol HDL (good) and LDL (bad). In simple terms:
- LDL cholesterol lays fat in your arteries which can block them over time, this can lead to a heart attack or a stroke.
- HDL cholesterol helps to remove the bad stuff keeping your arteries nice and clean and protecting your heart health.
The NHS Health Check will let you know your TOTAL cholesterol and how much of the GOOD one you have.
What can contribute towards bad cholesterol?
- A diet high in processed and junk foods
- Too much saturated fats
- Lack of exercise
- High alcohol intake
- Your family history
- Having diabetes or high blood pressure
How can I improve my cholesterol?
- A healthy balanced diet – plenty of fruits, vegetables & wholegrains
- Exercise regularly
- Quit smoking
- Reduce alcohol intake
- Add plenty of healthy fats to the diet –these are found in avocados, nuts, seeds, oily fish and olive oil
For more information or to book a Health Check please contact Ashley.firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to receive updates and exclusive offers